The National Anthem and hypocrisy.

This blog was inspired by a recent episode of The Sky is Falling podcast. (Great podcast by the way.) Cody made the following statement regarding the National Anthem, "If you want to kneel, kneel. If you want to stand, stand. I don't know how else to say it." This is perfect. The blatant attempts by the media (both left and right) to paint everything black and white are ridiculous. You are either on the right side or the wrong one. No one will admit that there is a middle ground. I'm on the fence as to which side is worse. The talking heads on Fox News screaming about kneeling being unpatriotic and disrespectful are idiots, but I'm going to have to give the idiot award to the left this time. Full disclaimer before I move forward. I don't agree with kneeling for the anthem, but as a decent human being I can understand why it's happening and will not be boycotting sports because athletes kneel. I also support police reform. The system is broke and I don't know how to fix it and haven't heard from anyone that does. That does not excuse the blatant hypocrisy from the left side of this argument. This guy stood for the anthem. He gave very good, articulate reasons for doing so while still supporting Black Lives Matter. He got dragged online. Giants pitcher Sam Coonrod didn't kneel and was called a coward and a fake Christian. The same people that were screaming about player's rights and how athletes shouldn't be forced to toe a line are now screaming about players not toeing a line. You cannot demand freedom of expression for athletes and then complain about athletes freely expressing themselves. It's idiotic. If you want players to have the right to kneel you have to support the right to stand. If you want players to have the right to stand you have to support the right to kneel. It goes both ways. You don't have to support their actions or reasons, but you have to support their rights. I personally can not envision a situation where I would kneel for the Anthem, but I fully support any person (athlete or otherwise) that does. It's their right in my America. Different points of view are what make this country great and we need to encourage civil disagreements not demonize those that disagree with us. I will end with this quote from Sam Coonrod.
"He’s (Kapler, Giants manager) not going to get mad if I disagree with him,” Coonrod said. “I think that that’s part of the problem nowadays: People get mad whenever someone disagrees. I’m not mad at someone who decided to kneel. I just don’t think it’s too much to ask that I just get the same respect.”

Stay safe everyone and Go Cubs Go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

$1200 for 10 weeks

The 61 year old potato farmer that stunned the world.

B1G has cancelled football.